Friday, August 3, 2007

I Suck, But I'm Great? What?

I've been in sales for a long time and I thought I'd pretty much heard it all by now, but today I was made aware of a humorously ego-bruising fact: I'm not the best salesman in the world. :(

I was actually told this by a client today who, I might add, also decided to award me with his business. Apparently his RFP was down to two firms: ours and another. I was informed that my competitor was "real slick" and that I "should hear him on the phone...he's unbelievable."

(Duly noted, sir. I'll keep that in mind next time I feel the need to brush up on my line of bullshit. Giggle!!)

I chuckled audibly when I heard this for all the obvious reasons only to be interrupted with "but I'm a lot more comfortable with you and what you've had to say...so I'm going with you."

Ummm....alright. Thanks, I think?

So, as the animated question mark hovered above my head, a confused smile broke over my face while I tried to stifle my laughter along with the other folks in the conference room that heard this transpire. I mean, am I missing something here?

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not complaining and I wasn't offended by his remark. A little amused and confused? Yes, but offended? Not at all. In a weird way I actually took it as a huge compliment. I mean, I'd rather be someone you can trust than some slick-rick golden throated used car salesman but the wrapper this compliment came in was new to me.

But back-handed or not, I'll take it.

No, I'm not the best salesman in the world. I'm pretty sure I've never claimed to be, thought I was, or even wondered about it. But who does?

These are good times! The only bad news, however, is that now I feel the need to seek out this competitor of mine and offer him my job. Because my job is to do what's best for LinkWorth and he's "unbelievable!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.