Friday, June 29, 2007

The Google Bowling League

Okay, so, wow. Matt Cutts seemingly admitted something new recently by saying in Forbes that it is possible to negatively affect another website's rankings within the Google SERPs.

But let's be honest...this isn't earth-shattering news, is it? I mean, we knew this already, right?

Sure, I was in Las Vegas last November at Pubcon, too, and I'd swear I heard him explicitly say that there was nothing you could do to negatively impact another website's rankings.

But don't you kinda have to take that with a grain of salt? I mean, what else is the guy gonna say when asked in front of a bunch of people? "Actually, there is a way to game our engine by being evil...."

Nah. And I can't say I blame him. He's just a loyal guy toeing the company line.

Now, to keep things fair, my memory might not be serving too well. We did some drinkin', that's for sure. And that was the trip that a long-time client and I both had LinkWorth logos inked on us...so I wasn't necessarily at my sharpest during the sessions. But I'm still fairly certain that I heard what I think I heard.

Do I care? Nope. Am I shocked? Not at all. Do I feel betrayed? Negative.

I've heard a lot of chatter about it today so I wanted to mention it. I'm also really familiar with one of the "sources" from the Forbes article and he's certainly more than credible.

So what do I think? Nothing really. Just another topic of conversation on another normal day in SEM.

Well, except that I think Threadwatch is really closing down. :(

No comments: